Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

QR Codes in the Classroom


There has been so much talk about using QR codes in the classroom so I decided to share what I did last year with QR codes in my class.

A QR code is a quick response code that looks like a 2D bar code. I see them a lot in magazines, on products, and on business cards. These codes can also be used in the classroom. There are a few sites that make it easy to make your own QR codes. These are the ones I use.

Make Your Own Voice QR Code

Make Your Own url QR Code

I also downloaded a free QR Code reader for my iPad in the classroom. Each week for math I teach lessons throughout the week, review the skills on Thursday, and test on Friday. On my review day (Thursday) I had 3 groups rotations going during our math time. One group started on their review sheet for the week, one group met with me, and the other group used the ipads and the QR code sheets I created.

I created pages that allowed them to navigate to different websites to review what we had been learning in class. After they finished that they were allowed to play math games on the iPad. This is a sample of the QR code sheets I made. This one is for reviewing dividing fractions.



My kids loved using the QR codes and they started paying attention to QR codes everywhere. They were excited when they found another QR code somewhere. I can't tell you how many times the kids came in and shared where they saw another QR code.

I have also added the QR codes to my beginning of the year brochures so parents are able to easily access our class website and blog. I am super excited to use them with some new things next year! I want to allow the students to make their own QR codes for projects. I also plan to set up QR codes in the classroom this coming year for open house. Our school is planning a meet and greet day before school starts. I thought it would be neat to set up QR codes around the room so parents can scan them and get a tour of the classroom even if I have to step out.

Do you have ideas for using QR codes? I'd love to hear your ideas. I'm constantly reading things on Twitter and other places about teachers using AR codes.

I also wanted to share some of my Pinterest projects from this week. My room is red, black, and white (to match my Canon camera strap). So I made 2 projects I found on Pinterest this week. The first is a ribbon wreath for the classroom door. One side of my classroom door is our class Twitter door.

Our Twitter door

On the other side I plan to hang my new homemade ribbon wreath.

Ribbon Wreath

This was super easy to make. I got a foam wreath form, several rolls of ribbon, and straight pins from Michael's. I cut the ribbon into 4 inch pieces, rolled them into a circle, and pinned them on. Viola!

The other project I made was a pictures frame for my desk. I plan to use an Expo marker to write my reminders on this.

  Picture Frame To Do List

I hope you have a great weekend! And don't forget to post your ideas for using QR codes in the classroom.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on the QR codes. I'm working on using these next year.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG....all I can say is OMG! What a wonderful resource to use in the classroom. My mind is already racing on how I can use this in my class. The kids will absolutely LOVE it! I love the idea of handouts with these on them! I need to figure out how to get a QR reader device in my classroom. For now I will probably use my personal IPOD and my IPhone...don't know what else to do! Guess I will have to learn how to write grants!!! Thanks for the wonderful resource and links!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I've seen it on Pinterest used at a back to school night so it gives all the teachers information when scanned. I'm trying to figure out how I can make that work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth and Teri when you get done brainstorming ideas please come back and share! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    Mrs. Shepherd my students love the twitter door. They use my iPad to tweet online about what we are doing in class but the door allows them to tweet about things going on in their lives.

    Jena do you have a web page or blog? You could set up a page with your contact information and then do a QR code that takes parents directly to that page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info. I want to use QR codes this year. I made my parent night QR code yesterday after seeing it on Pinterest. Now that our building will be wireless, there are so many ideas I can finally use. I will be back to see more ideas.
    Learning in Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely something I need to try out. I have the reader on the iPads, but haven't done anything with it - yet! Thanks for the nudge!

    Inside this Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use QR codes as extra credit assignments. I randomly post QR codes around the school and when students find them, they can scan them and preform the task. I've done little things like "Say the following sentence to Ms. T and receive 5 points on your lowest grade: "I hear #edchat is trending on Twitter"" Then if a student says that to me, I give them points, PLUS it sparks conversations about #edchat and hashtags and how we can use them in the classroom. I've had students scan QR codes to read articles and then retweet the article and tag me in it for extra credit, etc. I also use QR codes to tag my printed documents. I have a QR tag in the upper right hand corner that explains the assignment to parents or gives them a link to the notes from class, etc. QR codes are also on some classroom library books giving students a review from OTHER students! My kids make podcasts and give a review on a book they've read then I tape the QR code to the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great ideas!

    I'm nominating you for two blog awards, The Versatile Blogger and One Lovely Blog. Come on by and get them.

    Kim
    www.kissesfromafrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas & thanks for your comment on my blog post about QR codes! Seems as if we're QR code kindred spirits!
    Cheers!
    ~Gwyneth Jones
    The Daring Librarian

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that wreath, I'm going to try to make one.I’m your newest follower. Please check out my blog if you get a chance. Calling Plays in 2nd Grade.
    Thanks, Shanell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love all your projects and everything on your blog! I am your newest follower! I too saw the Twitter wall on Pinterest and it's on my to-do this summer for my classroom.

    Come check out my blog sometime! :o)
    Ashley
    Inspire, Dream, & Create! 

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of using QRCodes on student review pages!!! Your blog is full of great ideas. I also love the apps suggestions. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.