Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

#ISTE2014

Wow! This is the first time I was able to go to ISTE and there was an overwhelming amount of information available.

The Expo was like Tech Nerd heaven! They had all the latest and greatest technology and I wanted one of everything. Too bad I'm not independently wealthy!


Have you seen the newest Smartboards? They are like a television screen with 2 pens stuck to the bottom. If you have a SmartBoard you probably know you can only write with one pen at a time. Well, the new one allows you to write with more than one pen at a time! That's great when the kids come up to write on the board!


I also ran into Mobi and had my picture made with him. My students will think I saw a celebrity because we use BrainPop all the time in my classroom.

The one thing I know I'll be doing next year is Genius Hour. Guess I've been under a rock because the first time I heard of this was during #5thchat on Twitter before leaving for Atlanta. So imagine my excitement when there was a session about it. Have you heard of it? Do you use it in your classroom? I'd love to hear from some of my followers that do this in the classroom. I just have to figure how to work it in, but I'm going to do it!

I could go on forever about all the new things I saw but I'll just share a few. The first is a website called easel.ly. Click the image below for the site. It allows you and your students to create an infographic. I haven't used it yet but it seems pretty straight forward.


There were several groups who talked about having students serve at the tech support for teachers at school. I love this idea because I'm the Technology Integration Mentor (TIM) for my school and there isn't enough time to show them things I'd like and teach my class too. I would love to train student leaders to help with technology.

#MathPhotoaDay- Victoria Olson has her students do a photo that relates to math to contribute to #MathPhotoADay on Twitter. I love this idea because they could use several different apps to create their own photo a day. Want to see some from her classroom? Check out this link. 

Now my mission is to find someone to sponsor or let me pilot standing desks in my classroom. Can you imagine how amazing it would be to have a classroom full of these? I know I hate sitting all day and my students do too. I do a lot of brain breaks but this would help as well. Standing helps them focus more.


 They are adjustable so they would work well for students of any height. They are crazy expensive for a classroom teacher and I don't see my parents paying $500 for one desk. So I'm on the hunt for a sponsor. This would be part of my dream classroom!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.